NDP

Long-term care cuts don’t add up

August 29, 2016


For Immediate Release

HALIFAX – Documents obtained by the Nova Scotia NDP raise questions about the McNeil government’s understanding of long-term care operations. A letter from the Department of Health and Wellness directs facilities to maintain programming and staffing levels, despite a one per cent cut to funding.

The letter, dated April 20, 2016, is from a Department of Health and Wellness official to long-term care facilities, and states, “Services and programming to residents should not be negatively impacted and service delivery staffing levels should not be reduced. Again, the Department will work closely with providers to ensure the identified savings are appropriate and won’t impact care.”

“The idea that you can cut $6 million from long-term care facilities and not impact staff, food, or programming is absurd,” said Gary Burrill, Leader of the Nova Scotia NDP. “How can Stephen McNeil expect facilities to keep up with food cost increases of three per cent this year, when he has cut their budgets two years in a row? It just doesn’t make sense.”

Earlier this month, management at a number of nursing homes and residential care facilities revealed that the McNeil government provided false information about the extent of funding cuts in long-term care. The actual funding cut is approximately double what was revealed in a Freedom of Information request filed by the NDP Caucus. In total, the Liberals cut more than $6 million from nursing homes and residential care facilities.

“There are two casualties here,” said Burrill. “One, the quality of care received by the residents of nursing homes, and two, the telling of the truth.”

-30-

For more information, contact Kaley Kennedy at 902-229-6881.