May 26th, 2017
NDP to implement Calls to Action in TRC report
Building nation-to-nation relationship a priority
MILLBROOK – Today, NDP Leader Gary Burrill made a commitment to Indigenous people living in Nova Scotia that an NDP government would work with Indigenous communities to implement all the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
“Nova Scotia needs to recognize and take action on the recommendations and calls to action in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission report,” said Burrill. “Indigenous communities in Mi’kma’ki deserve a partner, not a commander. The NDP will be that partner and will continue to work towards implementing the full TRC calls to action.”
In this spirit of reconciliation, an NDP government will:
- Work to fulfill the Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action across the province, including, but not limited to:
- Increasing Indigenous representation in the health care field;
- Providing cultural education for all; and
- Working towards a provincial adoption of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
- Introduce an Environmental Bill of Rights that will give Indigenous people living in Nova Scotia a greater say in decisions that impact their environment.
“In the last session, the NDP Caucus pushed Stephen McNeil to implement and report on the progress of the Calls to Action in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in our province,” added Burrill. “We will continue to work towards building a nation-to-nation relationship to fulfill the Truth and Reconciliation Commission calls to action across the province.”
- 30 -